Home     Windows Phone     Nokia Belle     Nokia N8     Asha Series     Phones     Apps     Unboxings

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Nokia Situations - Automating your Nokia profiles

This post is going to be about how your Nokia smartphone can help you in your daily activities by remembering to do routine things for you.




Nokia Situations practically a more advanced profile manager. It allows you to setup much more advanced settings for each of your existing an newly created profiles. We're all used to having ringtone, vibration, and many more things like that customizable on each profile. But Nokia Situations brings more to the table. It allows you to set the following options for each profile:

1. Theme - Yes, it can change the theme when you switch profiles
2. Enable power saving
3. Open a bookmark
4. Open an application(we'll get back to this one later)
5. Turn Bluetooth on and off

All these features by themselves are pretty cool, but wait to see how they fall in when used together.




The Nokia Situations app has another tab when you edit a profile, the Conditions tab. Once you have a condition set, you profile turns into a Situation. So, to show you what I mean, here are a few real life examples, some of which I use daily.

One profile that I've created it's the Night profile. I turn off the vibration, set the ringer volume to a minimum, turn off all other tones, enable power saving and I'm off to bed. But wait! Don't I have to switch to that profile? I used to, but not anymore. Nokia Situations takes care of that.

In the conditions tab, I've enabled the first condition, Time, and set it from 23:00 to 7:30. This means that Nokia Situations will switch my phone to Night profile at exactly 23:00 every day and set it back to General at 7:30 in the morning. How cool is that?




So, you get up and want to go to work. So you get to your car and jump in, put your phone in the car holder and you drive to work. Nokia Situations can now detect your car's Bluetooth system and switch to a Car profile that can actually launch an application, like Nokia Drive, or (for Belle users only) Nokia Car Mode. All you need to do is enter the car, and you're ready.


Another useful situation is when you get to work. Your usual ring-as-loud-as-you-can profile is golden in busy crowd, on the street or any other noisy situation, but at the job, you have to keep the volume down a notch. Nokia Situations to the rescue again. I, for one, have a predefined situation that detects my workplace Wi-Fi network and changes the profile to a low volume ringtone profile and no vibration, because I keep my phone on my desk at all times.


Same happens when I get home. The phone detects my home Wi-Fi network and turns off the vibration but turns the ringer to max volume because I have to hear the phone from everywhere around the house. You can even set it up to activate when you arrive at some GPS location.


With the amount of features present in this app, the possibilities are endless. This app can help you forget about profiles. You set your automatic profiles on, and Nokia Situation takes care of everything.

This is one must have app for your Nokia device. Besides working on Anna and Belle, it's also compatible with earlier S60v5 and S60v3 Nokia smartphones. Download it from Nokia Store.

Comments